Wednesday 28 December 2011

Another chapter from my new book...

He Who Forgot

I was shivering all over - not because I was cold, but because I was terrified. The noise was deafening. The ground was swaying and vibrating frighteningly. I tried to press my legs against the floor to get some sort of hold, but whenever the swaying became too strong I slid helplessly around until I bounced into a wall – only to slide the other way with the next jolt.

This continued for a very long time until it eventually stopped. Still a bit shaken, I carefully got up to see where I was, but  it was too dark to see anything. I couldn't remember what had happened. The terror had wiped all memory.

I slowly inched forwards to find some light, but after only a few cautious steps I could feel one of the walls in front of me. I turned around and inched the other way until I got to another wall – the same to my left and right. It was clear I was trapped inside some sort of rather small box.

Suddenly, my prison started to sway again, but this time much gentler and without the frightening noise. I quickly lowered myself down again and lay flat on the floor. When the swaying became stronger I pressed myself against one of the walls to avoid falling about. My heartbeat quickly increased again and I started breathing more heavily. Luckily, the air inside my prison seemed to have become much less stuffy and I could smell fresh air.

Then, after a period of milder shaking, I felt lighter for a short moment, as if I was falling, quickly followed by a thump against the floor. Then, a few seconds later, one of the walls opened upwards. Bright light flooded in and I could see grass, trees, flowers and even a lake. Curious to explore my new surroundings and to escape my prison, I made a cautious step towards the opening. I looked left, right and up for possible threats, but everything was clear. I made another step and entered the outside. I had another good look around.

It was a beautiful place.

No comments:

Post a Comment